Causes of Erectile Dysfunction and Treatments
Erectile dysfunction is a common condition for many men, yet the causes of male impotence are numerous. The way to treat your male impotence is to know what is causing your male impotence. You can then make an informed decision about what erectile dysfunction treatment is right for you.
- Heart Disease or Diabetes – Most cases of male impotence are caused by an existing medical condition, such as heart disease or diabetes. A lack of proper blood flow in the body is a common cause of erectile dysfunction in men.
- Nerve Damage – Nerve damage from injury or surgery is another very common cause of impotence. Lessened sensitivity in nerves can make a man have lessened or no erection ability at all.
- Depression – Mental conditions, such as depression, can play a large part of a man’s problem with impotence.
- Drug Related Impotence – Drug related impotence, from chronic use of tobacco, alcohol or illicit street drugs as well as prescribed medications, can lead to erectile dysfunction.
- Hormone Imbalances – Hormone imbalances only account for about 5% of impotency cases. Usually, a lower than normal level of testosterone is to blame. This can be brought on by liver or kidney disease.
- Performance Anxiety – Psychological problems such as performance anxiety, the fear of not being able to perform sexually, can be very devastating for a man. The longer the man suffers through impotence, the deeper this anxiety develops.
Today, new impotency cures and different erectile dysfunction treatments are available for impotency patients. Depending of the source of your erectile dysfunction, a physician would prescribe the appropriate treatment.
Oral Medications – Oral medications for erectile dysfunction, such as Viagra, have been very effective and convenient in treating impotency for millions of men. Introduced in 1998, Viagra (sildenafil citrate) has become the most popular erectile dysfunction treatment on the market today. Viagra is taken 30-60 minutes before sexual activity.
Herbal Supplements – Herbal supplements, dietary supplements made with natural herbal ingredients known for their aphrodisiac qualities, have been effective for some with erectile dysfunction problems. These usually have a less caustic effect on the body, yet are not as effective as some prescription impotence treatments. Recent creams, such as Viacreme and Vitara have been developed specifically for women showing promising results.
Penile Injection Therapy – Penile injection therapy, where a small amount of medicine (mixture of papaverine, phentolamine and prostoglandin) is injected into the penis, is a slightly more abrasive treatment, but usually has much stronger effect in achieving erections. Erections can last up to 4 hours with this treatment. Approximate price per dosage is $15 – $20.
Vacuum Therapy – Vacuum therapy is also an effective treatment for impotency for some men. A cylinder with an attached pump is placed over the penis. The pump causes a vacuum in the cylinder, which aids blood flow into the penis. A constricting band is then placed at the base of the penis to restrict blood flow out of the penis. An erection lasts for about 30 minutes with this treatment. Vacuum pump devices can cost anywhere from $150 – $400.
Hormonal Therapy – Hormonal therapy would be effective for men with hormone imbalance-caused impotence. A hormone patch worn on top of the skin can supplement a lowered level of testosterone. The approximate cost of each patch is $20.
Psychological Therapy – Psychological therapy can be effective for men suffering from a mentally produced impotency problem. This type of treatment is best suited for men with no organic cause to their erectile dysfunction. This treatment may take numerous amount of treatments and can be very expensive.